Commentator Ian Smith has shared material denying the Holocaust, defended Nazis as simply “protecting their sovereignty,” said World War II was actually “engineered White genocide facilitated by international usurers,” and attacked Jewish people for being behind “all of these things that are used to control us.” Trump National Doral Miami recently welcomed him as a speaker alongside key Trump officials, including Eric Trump.
As Media Matters previously reported, Trump’s Miami resort hosted the ReAwaken America tour last Friday and Saturday. Among the speakers were Eric and Lara Trump; Trump lawyers Christina Bobb and Alina Habba; former Trump national security adviser Mike Flynn; former Trump economic adviser Peter Navarro; longtime Trump adviser Roger Stone; and former senior Trump Defense Department official Kash Patel.
All of them appeared at an event that also featured Ian Smith, a virulent antisemite. Specifically:
- Smith has posted content denying the Holocaust.
- Smith endorsed Europa: The Last Battle, an antisemitic movie that defends Nazis and portrays Hitler as “only trying to save Germany from the Jews.”
- Smith defended Nazis as only “protecting their sovereignty” from Jewish people.
- Smith alleged that Jewish people are behind “all of these things that are used to control us,” including banking, the media, pornography, and Hollywood. He also said that “everybody that he [Biden] surrounds himself with is Jewish.”
- Smith shared a meme stating that “all this woke stuff” is actually “coming from Jews.”
- Smith said of World War II: “Let’s stop pretending that World War I and II were some heroic tales of the Allies saving the world from the boogeyman and call them what they really were - engineered White genocide facilitated by international usurers who needed gut the White world from the inside to keep up their parasitic lifestyle.” He also wrote: “If the good guys won World War 1 and 2, then why is the world being ruled by a bunch of self-appointed Bolshevik organizations like WHO, UN, WEF?”
- Smith responded to a meme about the “enemy” with a symbol used to indicate Jewish people.
In 2007, Smith killed someone while driving drunk. In 2022, he was arrested for driving under the influence again. That charge was dropped and Smith instead pleaded guilty over his “refusal to take a breathalyzer test and careless driving.”
Media Matters documented Smith’s antisemitism prior to the start of the Trump Doral event. The tour still went ahead with his speech, with organizer Clay Clark defending him. He stated: “Our next presenter is a victim of a lot of hit pieces in the last 24 hours. … I called him last night and I said, ‘The media's coming after you.’ I'm super excited to have him on the stage. And the reason why the media comes after this guy is because he unapologetically celebrates what it means to be an American. He loves our country.”
Smith had already spoken at Trump Doral in May for the tour’s prior visit to the Miami resort. He's also met former President Donald Trump at Mar-a-Lago.
Eric Trump has been the face of the ReAwaken Tour. He also regularly promotes the tour with organizer Clay Clark, whom he has called “a dear friend of mine.”
Clark has specifically promoted the tour as being closely tied to Trump, stating, “Eric Trump is a good friend of mine” and, “It's exciting … that Trump's inner circle is now going, they're all reaching out to our tour, to the ReAwaken America tour, to Gen. Flynn, to myself, to Kash Patel. And they're all saying, hey, can we come to the tour?”
Eric Trump has appeared alongside at least four Hitler-promoting antisemites on the tour. In addition to Smith, they are:
- Jason Dean, who has said that he has “NEVER been able to buy the Hilter/Nazi ‘Official Story’” and praised Adolf Hitler for having a “vision” and wanting “to straighten everything out” but “the bankers got him.”
- Scott McKay, who has said that “Hitler was actually fighting the same people that we're trying to take down today.” He’s also claimed Jewish people orchestrated 9/11 and presidential assassinations and said Jewish people torture and eat children.
- Charlie Ward, who has shared posts praising Hitler for supposedly “warning us” about Judaism; claiming that “VIRUSES are Man (JEW) made”; and attacking the alleged Jewish media for supposedly lying about the Holocaust.
While those three were removed from the tour after Media Matters revealed their antisemitic remarks, Smith will apparently continue his involvement with the Trump-backed tour. His picture is featured alongside Clark's and Flynn's on its website, he’s still listed as a “featured” speaker, and he’s in an early promotional poster for the next event, in December in Tulare, California.